Sloe Gin are a trio of musicians experienced in providing music and entertainment at medieval banquets, weddings, parties and corporate events.
Their music ranges from medieval dance tunes performed on recorder, cittern and percussion via humorous ditties, jigs and reels, love songs and ballads, to lively audience participation songs.
They are able to include dances as part of the entertainment and if required can act as master of ceremonies and provide the humorous content to the evening alongside the music. Sloe Gin are based in the UK Midlands where they have regularly played at the following venues
- Warwick Castle
- Various hotels and tourist attractions in the Stratford area
- Tales of Robin Hood, Nottingham
- Sheriff's Lodge, Nottingham
- Tamworth Assembly Rooms
- Ettington Manor Park Hotel
Of late they have undertaken several themed wedding receptions with a medieval flavour at venues such as:
- Beaumanor Hall, Leicestershire
- Bestwood Lodge Hotel, Nottingham
- Newstead Abbey, Nottingham
Depending on the requirements of the client they can provide entertainment that ranges from the historically correct and quietly refined to lively audience participation. They often find that a night that starts with the former can develop into the latter, and their experience helps them judge if this is required and if so at what pace it should take place. Their flexibility and versatility helps them to react to the many varied situations that can arise at your event.
As well as offering entertainment for weddings and corporate events they also offer a fun alternative to discos for birthday and anniversary parties, especially for the more "mature" and discerning host!
Since the group was formed in 1995 they have been very fortunate in finding a steady stream of work in a selection of very nice venues ranging from regular work at Warwick Castle and hotels in the Stratford area to army camps in darkest Yorkshire and medieval weddings in the Home Counties.
They have also worked for "The Tales of Robin Hood" and "The Sherriff's Lodge" in Nottingham.
They like to think they are more than a group of musicians gently strumming medieval music in the background; they are entertainers as well, and can drag audience participation out of reluctant guests whether with song, dance or humour, whatever suits the occasion.
Sloe Gin can provide -
- a Master of Ceremonies who will liaise with the catering staff and call all announcements for removes and dances;
- they also provide the Medieval 'Handfasting' Ceremony. This lasts approx 10 minutes and is a series of approx 10 'promises' that the bride and groom make to each other. Each time a promise is made a ribbon is placed over two wrists and then the ribbons are tied in a knot (where the expression 'tying the knot' comes from). It is completely non-religious and can be quite fun. It is usually done before the cutting of the cake
- authentic Mediaeval Music for the Ceremony
- music for the pre-Feast reception;
- music during the main Feast;
- music during serving and while guests are eating;
- the announcements of all removes for serving and clearing in true mediaeval style;
- entertainment spot for audience participation, with song and dance between each remove and Mediaeval Dances for the Bride, Groom and Guests who might care to participate.
The above usually lasts approx 4/5 hours.
"....We certainly had a great time. . . .and it wouldn't have been half as good without you and your trusty minstrels!! I cannot thank you enough!
Thank you again for making the wedding a real medieval event. .. and I am so happy that you seemed to have as much fun as us. You really made it a very special day!"
Nancy Keen, Caerphilly
" We would both like to express how much we appreciated your wonderful performance throughout our wedding day, you were exactly what we needed to give the exact atmosphere we wanted............"
Jane & Jonathan, Walton on Thames
"I would just like to say a very big thank you to Sloe Gin for making my 30th Birthday such a huge success. I really enjoyed myself as did all my friends and family......"
Nicola Andrews, Asfordby
"Just a quick note to say thank you so much for making our day so special, you were all fantastic............It was wonderful to have you all at the wedding, the music was the final touch to a perfect day........"
Sara & Aide Andrews, Hodnet.
"........thank you for making my daughter's wedding day so special for her. Your participation at Beaumanor Hall was marvellous, it wouldn't have been the same without you........."
Glenys Cripps, Nottinghamshire